Here's another simplified version of the Gujarati Dal- this ones slightly different from the one that is usually made at the weddings and about which i wrote earlier. I make this dal on a regular basis with roti, chawal and sabzi.
1 cup toor dal (boiled)
2 green chilies
1 inch piece of ginger crushed
1/2 tsp cumin-coriander powder
1/4th tsp chili powder (optional- as per taste)
2-3 kokum/amsul pieces
salt to taste
2-3 tsp jaggery
5-6 curry leaves
3 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
3-4 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/3 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/3 tsp turmeric
a pinch of asafoetida
1/3 tsp chili powder
1. Boil the toor dal. Blend the boiled dal with 2-1/2 cups water.
2. Heat oil in a cooking pan, add in the mustard and fenugreek seeds and when they pop, add the turmeric, asafoetida and chili powder in that specific order.
3. Add the dal and add salt, cumin coriander and chili powder, curry leaves, ginger, coriander and green chilies and kokum and let boil for 30-40 minutes.
4. Finally add the jaggery and let simmer for 10 more minutes.
5. Garnish with some coriander and serve hot.