Lajawaab

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Stuffed Bell Pepper in Tomato Gravy

by Priyanka posted at 10:15 PM 8 comments





I used to make this dish a lot when i was entertaining in New York. But since i moved to Florida, i never got around to making it until a couple of days ago. What prodded me into cooking this dish were a couple of red bell peppers sitting in the back of my fridge, a couple of potatoes left in my pantry and a can of tomato sauce. This is definitely an excellent way of cleaning up your fridge and pantry.


Serves 4

2 red bell peppers


For the stuffing
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric
a pinch of asafoetida
1/4th tsp chili powder or (2 small green chilies chopped)
1/3 tsp garam masala
2 potatoes- boiled and mashed


For the gravy
2 small tomatoes- pureed
1 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup cashews-crushed
1 bay leaf
2 cloves- crushed
1 stick cinnamon-crushed
1 clove garlic-crushed
1 small piece ginger-crushed
2 tsp oil
1/3 tsp chili powder
salt to taste


1. For the stuffing, heat the oil, add the cumin seeds and when they pop, add the turmeric, asafoetida and the mashed potatoes. Stir well and add in the rest of the ingredients and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the stove and set aside.
2. Core the center of the bell peppers.
3. Make two equal portions from the stuffing and stuff the cored bell peppers. Bake for 60-90 minutes or till the bell peppers are completely baked.
4. Heat oil, add the crushed cloves, cinnamon, garlic, ginger and bay leaf. Saute for 5-7 minutes.
5. Next add in the tomato sauce and pureed fresh tomatoes. Saute till the oil separates. Add 1 cup water and cook for 15-20 more minutes. Add in the chili powder and salt and the crushed cashews. Saute for 10-15 more minutes.
6. Just before serving, place the baked peppers in the tomato gravy and bake for 15 minutes.





Variations- Add onions, corn or cheese to the potato stuffing for added flavor.

Comments 8 comments
Finla said...

Beautiful dish.
I am sure you had lot of wow from your guest when u brought this to the table

Bong Mom said...

Priyanka,
Loved your Gujarati dal. This dish is great too but me not a bell pepper fan.
Can you tell me what I can use instead of "kokum" for the dal. Kokum gives a sour taste right ? But what could be a good alternative ?

Anonymous said...

Heyyy! I tried this recipe with green bell peppers! We loved it, completely!! Thanks for sharing :)

Tee said...

looks delicious...and so easy to make!
Thanks for checking on me...I will be back soon with a new recipe.

Bong Mom said...

Priyanka
Made your Gujarati Dal, we all loved it. As you said I substituted lime for kokum. I had a question though is Curry leaves as prevalent in Gujarat too ? I told the hubby this is a Gujarati Dal, but because of the Curry Leave flavor he kept saying "Are you sure this is not a South Indian Dal ?" :-)
Men I tell you.
But we all loved it.

Sig said...

I love stuffed bell peppers, it is always a party pleaser... Your version looks beautiful Priyanka!

FH said...

Love Moong in any dish, yum!:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Priyanka..........thank you so much for this recipe...
one day i was getting bored and was thinking what to cook?/ then i got an idea that let's check priyanka's site....i saw this recipe... and i was ook.........i'm gonna make this... and everbody at my home like my Hubby and my in-laws they loved it... but all credit goes to u....thanksssssss

Post a Comment

Feeds rss About Me

Priyanka
I love food and cooking !!

priyanka.deo@gmail.com

Subscribe feeds via e-mail

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe feeds rss Blog Followers

Subscribe feeds rss Recent Entries

Subscribe feeds rss Recent Comments

Categories