Lajawaab

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Gujarati Dal

by Priyanka posted at 9:44 PM 25 comments



Yay!!!! I discovered the secret recipe to Laganni (lagan means wedding in gujarati) gujarati dal:) If you have ever tasted the gujarati dal made specially on marraige occasions, you will know what i am talking about it. Served with basmati rice at weddings this slightly khati-meethi (sweet and sour) dal is something to lick your fingers off and i really mean licking your fingers.


My MIL (mom-in-law) makes awesome gujarati dal. However, I have never been able to replicate this wedding dal made froom tuvar dal despite umpteen attempts....until today. My efforts have finally paid off. So, here i share with you this recipe. It comes quite close to the traditional dal with just a couple of ingredients missing- tamarind, ambolia and kharek (i didnt have them). Any further inputs are welcome:)


Serves 4


Ingredients


1-1/2 cup tuvar dal (toor/split yellow peas)

8-10 curry leaves

1 small tomato (finely chopped)

4 kokum pieces

2 green chilies

3 tbs jaggery

salt to taste

1 tbsp cumin-coriander powder

2/3 tsp chili powder

1/3 tsp turmeric

a pinch of asafoetida

1 tsp amchur powder

1/4 th cup peanuts

1 inch piece of ginger (grated)
Updated 08/02/07
add tamarind paste in equal proportions to the jaggery that you add
also add kharek (dry dates) and ambolia (dried green mango) if you have any


For tempering

1/2 tsp cumin seeds

1/2 tsp mustard seeds

1/3 tsp fenugreek seeds

3-4 curry leaves

2 red chilies

1 kashmiri dried chili
3 cloves
1 stick cinnamon


1. Boil the tuvar dal with three-four cups of water. Mash the dal completely. Add 3 cups of water (more or less as per your choice) to make it liquidy enough.

2. Add the chili powder, turmeric, asafoetida, curry leaves, salt, cumin-coriander, chopped green chilies,tomatoes, kokum and salt to taste. Let it boil for 15-10 minutes.

3. Next add the amchur powder and jaggery, peanutes and grated ginger and let boil for another 15-20 minutes. (keep adding water if the dal thickens stirring once in a while). Add tamarind paste, kharek and ambolia if you have any and boil for abother 15 minutes or so.

4. Heat 3 tbsp oil for tempering, add in the cumin, mustard and fenugreek seeds. When they splutter, add the curry leaves, red chilies, cinnamon and cloves and pour it into the dal mixture.

5. Serve hot garnished with coriander with rice or pulao.

Comments 25 comments
FH said...

Priyanka,I make Gujarati dal or what I think is Gujju dal!:D
This look different,thanks for posting.I have to got to try.

Sia said...

thats very generous of u to share ur secret gujarathi dal with us priyanka:) i have bookmarked it n gonn atry it shortly:)

Priyanka said...

Asha... this dal is specially made on wedding occasions and not as part of everday meal in gujju homes... thats a much more simplified version.... however if you have tamarind, you should add it in equal proportions to the jaggery and boil the dal for a long time to get the tangy yet sweet taste

Sia,
thanks, however it was not my secret. its just that after umpteen attmepts i finally was able to replicate the taste, so i thought i would share with all of you since I couldnt find any recipe for it online...

evolvingtastes said...

I love the regular gujarati style dal and sounds like the lagan ni dal is even more delicious! What is ambolia? Look forward to trying this out.

Priyanka said...

ET, thanks... do try it out... once you taste it, you will love it...btw, i updated my post- kharek is dried dates and ambolia are dried pieces of raw mango.

Dee said...

hey, ive eaten it only from the lady sometimes I go and buy gujj stuff, she makes awesome dal.. will check with her if its the same.. thanks for the recipe

Sig said...

hehe wedding daal, love the sound of that... good thing you got to replicate the taste Priyanka... and now that you have blogged the recipe, you can look it up whenever you need to.. thats what I love about blogging... I forget my own recipes sometime :D

Roopa said...

wow the dhall looks delicious! and comforting ... :) gotto to try this ~

Sharmi said...

that sounds comforting and easy. such simple dal for Gujju wedding, that is a good info.

Neelam said...

Hey your dal looks so inviting...feel like having it right away!

vimmi said...

Hi Priyanka,

I have loved gujarati dal since childhood but have not been able to duplicate it. can u also post the regular gujarati dal recipe. I will try this soon. We have just moved new place this week and are in the process of setting up. but will try this asap.

Thanks
vimmi

lav soni said...

hi priyanka

my name is lav. i m doing my masters of accouting from melbourne. really i dint know how to cook food.it was really hectic for me but once i thought let made me experiments. i was searching online for receipies and got ur site. really plz ppost more and more receipes. and the dal was so so so so so so good AND yummy... again thanx priyanka.

Anonymous said...

hi, i been looking for this recipe forever now, finally, you got it, thanks so much, please let me know how many pieces of kharek and dry mango you can put in the amount dal you have used as example? thanks! i will try to cook exact amount you have shown, thanks so much again!

Anonymous said...

Ramgopal Pandya.

Real Gujarati Laganni Dal recipe received fro Cook..

Serves 4


Ingredients


1-1/2 cup tuvar dal (toor/split yellow peas)
8-10 curry leaves
1 small tomato (finely chopped)
2 tsp spoon tomato paste
1 tsp Garam masala
4 kokum pieces
3 tbs jaggery(brown sugar)
salt to taste
1 tbsp cumin-coriander powder
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp turmeric
a pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp amchur powder
1/4 th cup peanuts
1 inch piece of ginger (grated)
Updated 04/16/08
2-3 chopped kharek (dry dates)

For tempering
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/3 tsp fenugreek seeds
3-4 curry leaves
2 red chilies

1. Boil the tuvar dal with three-four cups of water. Mash the dal completely. Add 3 cups of water (more or less as per your choice) to make it liquid enough.

2. Heat 3-4 tbsp oil for tempering, add in the mustard, fenugreek seeds, peanuts,cumin-coriander powder and Garam masala. When they splutter, add the asafoetida, curry leaves, red chilies, tomato paste and chopped tomato ones this mixers start broiling then add boil tuvar dal and Let it boil for 8-10 minutes.

3. Next add the amchur powder(optional) and jaggery and grated ginger and let boil for another 15-20 minutes. (keep adding water if the dal thickens stirring once in a while). Add tamarind paste, kharek and kokum and boil for another 15-20 minutes or so.


4. Garnished with coriander and Serve hot with rice.

Anonymous said...

Hi priyanka, this is abi here, I was trying your recipe, and at the end of it, I made beautifull daal, but with that dal, I also had one tomato. So I think you have missed the tomato in your method.What do i do with that tomato?

Priyanka said...

abhi you can add the tomato to the dal as specified in my recipe (in place of tamarind/kharek/ambolia). Hope this answers your question.

Unknown said...

Hey Thanks a lot for the reciepe,Am a student staying away from home,I miss my mum's dal sometime.....Now i'll be able to make it...Cheers

Unknown said...

Hi--I wanted to try this recipe, but I see 1 small tomato on the top, but in the recipe description I think it's left out. At what point do you add the tomato? thx

Priyanka said...

Kawal, I just modified the recipe- You can add the tomatoes during the second step- thanks for pointing out.Hope this helps

tipsi said...

Tried out your recipe today, of course with a few modifications as time is a constraint for me.... and i must say I enjoyed it thoroughly, better than all the other recipes out there! Had to go easy on the jaggery as husband does not enjoy sweet dal, besides being a diabetic - of course i had to cheat a little!! Have you made undhiyo or variation of that?? I am not a gujju but like their food!!

Priyanka said...

tipsi,
i m glad that you enjoyed the dal. the undhiyo recipe is in the recipe index. serve it with some gujarati kadhi and puris for a perfect meal

Anonymous said...

I made your dal on this rainy day. It was so yum! I followed your recipe with a few tweaks I added two tsp dhania jiru and sub jaggery w light brown sugar. The tamarind added that special something to the dal. Thank you for sharing your recipe!

Anonymous said...

yesterday 1 gujrati family came for dinner... n i made this gujarati daal for them... they loved it... n even asked me for the recipe... 1 cnt get a bigger compliment then this...

Anonymous said...

Excellent Recipe Exactly what I was looking for the dal that you have at the wedding..ghar ni dal is completely different from a wedding dal..thanks a ton for this recipe

Anonymous said...

Hi Priyanka...Thank you so much! I am really glad I found this Lagan ni dal recipie here! I was looking for it since a long time on net and never found anything! I was happy to see that someone is obsessed with lagan ni dal as much as I do! I definitely try this one! Thanks again!

Post a Comment

Feeds rss About Me

Priyanka
I love food and cooking !!

priyanka.deo@gmail.com

Subscribe feeds via e-mail

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe feeds rss Blog Followers

Subscribe feeds rss Recent Entries

Subscribe feeds rss Recent Comments

Categories