Lajawaab

Friday, July 13, 2007

W of Indian vegetables: Wheat khichdi with vegetables

by Priyanka posted at 3:25 PM 11 comments

This dish, so simple yet delicious has always presented a challenge to me. The reason: My aai makes such awesome Fadani Khichdi (Khichdi made of cracked wheat, lentils and vegetables)- yeah- thats what its called in gujarati- that i have never been able to replicate it. It never comes out the same as my mom. Since I was kind of afraid of botching it up, I kept thinking about other options with "W". But my heart and my palate were reluctant to try or taste anything else. So finally, i called up my mom, took down the recipe verbatim, donned the apron and gave it another try.

Fadani khichdi is very nutritious and the ultimate comfort food. Here's what you need for the recipe

Serves 2

Ingredients

1 cup cracked wheat/ fada (you can find this at any Indian store)
1/2 cup split green moong dal
1-1/2 cup chopped veggies of your choice (carrots, peas, cauliflower, potatoes)
1 small onion diced
1 tsp garam masala
1/3 tsp chili powder
salt to taste

To be ground into a paste
4 green chilies
1-2 cloves of garlic
1 inch piece of ginger

For tempering:
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/3 tsp turmeric
a pinch of asafoetida
1 bay leaf
1 cinnamon stick
2 cloves

A closer look at how the cracked wheat looks like:


1. Wash and soak the cracked wheat and moong dal for 1/2 an hour before cooking.

2. Heat oil in a cooker, add the mustard seeds and when they crackle, add the ingredients for tempering.
3. Add the cracked wheat and saute it for 5-7 minutes till it turns golden brown and then add all the veggies and the onion and saute it till 5-10 minutes.

4. Add the ground paste, garam masala and salt.

5. Add 1 cup of water and let it cook for another 10 minutes.

6. Add the moong dal and 3-1/2 more cups of water (the cracked wheat swells a lot, so you need lots of water) and cook it for 3 whistles. The consistency should be semi-solid (simply put it will be a "lachko" or "sarsarit" khichdi). At this point turn off the gas and let it cool for 15 minutes.
This is what a semi-solid khichdi should look like.



7. Serve hot garnished with coriander and a dollop of ghee or with any raita or yoghurt.




After i tasted the first morsel, i started jumping with joy- my fadani khichdi had turned out quite like my mom's. I served my khichdi with mattha.


I am sending this Khichdi over to Nupur of OneHotStove for the A-Z of Indian Vegetables.

Comments 11 comments
archana said...

I am bookmarking your recipe :) I am try this khichadi, becoz I am sick of eating dalia as porridge.It is a meal and with matha on the side wow!I noticed you put mung dal last . Thanx for this lovely recipe:)

FH said...

Priyanka,looks like a delicious savory porridge to me girl.Looks really good.I think I have Bulgar wheat,will try.Thanks.

Priyanka said...

Thanks Archana- let me know how it turns out- i put the moong dal last bcoz it gets cooked faster as opposed to the cracked wheat and veggies.

Asha- thank you. do try it out- it is a very savory and healthy dish

Saju said...

yummy kitchri, I have made uppma from bulgar wheat, but this seems nicer, I am going to try it.

Tee said...

Looks delicious Priyanka ! My mom also makes this but I have never got it right and hence given up on it. But your khichadi makes me want to give it another try...will let you know once I try it. Thanks for the recipe!

Suganya said...

I love this khichdi. Its healthy, tasty and keeps you full..

Nupur said...

With that amazing photo...you don't need to convince me that this is the ultimate comfort food...will be buying cracked wheat soon to try this!

Tee said...

hey,
you have been tagged.

http://bhaatukli.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Hi Priyanka,
This is a wonderful recipe, quick and easy..I made it today and it tasted great!! Thanks for the detailed instructions..

Anonymous said...

It's easy to prepare, easy to cook,

ahalya said...

amazing. Isnt hot khichadi the best thing in the whole world :)

Post a Comment

Feeds rss About Me

Priyanka
I love food and cooking !!

priyanka.deo@gmail.com

Subscribe feeds via e-mail

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe feeds rss Blog Followers

Subscribe feeds rss Recent Entries

Subscribe feeds rss Recent Comments

Categories