I wanted to serve an Italian appetizer at one of my little get-to-gathers and the idea for these party bites came to me out of the blue.....It got rave reviews and was lapped up in minutes
Makes 36 phyllo purses/puff pastry appetizers
2 roasted red peppers- chopped finely
2 roasted green peppers- chopped finely
1 cup shredded pepperjack cheese
4-5 tsp pine nuts
4-5 tsp pesto sauce (preferably freshly made)
4-5 tsp finely chopped red onion
1 finely chopped clove garlic
2 TBSP fresh basil
2 tsp olive oil
2 boxes pepperidge farm puff pastry sheets
1. Heat oil in a pan and add the chopped onions and garlic to it.
2. Saute till they are golden brown in color and add in the chopped roasted peppers, pine nuts and pesto sauce.
3. Mix well and saute lightly till the water evaporates.
4. Add in the pepperjack cheese and stir.
5. Let the pastry sheets thaw for 40 minutes and cut them into 36 equal squares.
6. Place 1-2 tsp of the pepper-pesto-pine nut mixture onto the pastry squares and gather the ends together to form a purse like shape.
7. Bake in a preheated oven @ 450 degrees for 20 minutes or till they are brown and crisp.
8. Serve hot.