Who doesnt love mooli parathas? Its a classic and a favorite of the hubby. Since making stuffed mooli parathas is such a laborious process, i decided to skip the traditional way of making it without compromising on the taste. So instead of stuffing the grated radish, i added it to the wheat flour and mixed it up with the spices and some yogurt (thats what makes it a thepla). The addition of grated carrots only enhances the taste. Serve it with dahi and achaar on the side for a wonderful brunch or lunch.
3 cups wheat flour
3 cups grated radish (squeeze out the extra water)
2 cups grated carrots
3 tsp ginger-garlic-green chili paste
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/3 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
salt to taste
3 tbsp yogurt
2 tsp cilantro
2 tsp oil
oil on the side for cooking theplas
1. First add oil to the wheat flour and mix it up. Next add all the spices and mix so that they are uniformly blended in the flour.
2. Then add the ginger-garlic-green chili paste and yogurt and mix it up.
3. Now add the grated carrots, radish and cilantro and start kneading a dough with as little water as possible (the yogurt and the radish should provide enough water in itself to build the dough). Coat it with 1/2 tsp oil.
4. Make a small ball- the size of a lemon and roll out into a 7-8 inch circle.
5. Place the rolled out thepla onto a heated Tawa/pan and let cook till brown spots are visible (about 2-3 minutes).
6. Flip it over, apply 1/2 tsp oil and let cook till 2 more minutes.
7. Flip it over again, apply the oil and repeat the process.
8. Remove and serve hot with raita, yogurt or achaar (pickle)