Since the past year, i have a new-found appreciation for South Indian food and hence the trials in the kitchen to come up with recipes that are quick to make and appeal to our palate. Dosas are something that i yet have to master making perfectly. So for now i stick to the simple idlis and uttapa versions. I sometimes get the Gits instant idli mix for days when i am crunched for time or just too tired after a long day at work. And i must say that they turn out pretty good. The same goes for the Gits Dhokla mix (Its the best, i swear. When in the past i have served it to family and guests, they were never able to guess that the dhoklas came from an instant mix and were not the real deal. They are that good). Now coming to the masala idli recipes, when you have more than a handful of leftover idlis from the previous day, masala idlis are the way to go. They make for good breakfast or afternoon snack and are real lifesavers when it comes to saving time.
Left over idlis (15-20) cut into small pieces
2 medium green peppers- finely diced
1 small onion- finely chopped
salt to taste
2 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/4th tsp turmeric
1/4th tsp asafoetida
2-3 green chilies
1/4th tsp chili powder
1. Heat oil in a wide cooking pan, add the mustard seeds and when they pop, add the turmeric, asafoetida, chili powder and chilies in that order.
2. NExt add the onions and saute till they turn translucent.
3. Add the green peppers and let them cook.
4. Now add the idli pieces, add salt and mix well.
5. Cook for 5-10 minutes and serve garnished with coriander.