Having been born and brought up in Gujarat, gujarati cuisine is kind of staple to us. And personally for me, i prefer certain gujarati courses for my everyday meal such as gujarati dal, gujarati kadhi, certain vegetable preparations and most of the farsaans (snacks) over marathi dishes. Here's one of my all-time favorite- Kadhi- a buttermilk-gram flour curry- which is slightly sweet and sour in taste. Serve with pulao or jeera rice or even plain rice.
2 cups yogurt
3 cups water
3 tbsp besan (gram flour)
3 green chilies crushed
1 inch ginger piece- crushed
8-10 curry leaves
1 tbsp coriander
salt to taste
2-3 tsp sugar (depending on the sourness of the yogurt)
a little jaggery (optional)
2 tbsp ghee
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 green chili chopped
1/3 tsp fenugreek seeds
1. Make buttermilk from the yogurt. (beat the yogurt, add water and mix well)
2. Separately, mix the besan with some cold water to make a paste and add to the buttermilk.
3. Add salt, sugar, jaggery, curry leaves, coriander, ginger and chilies to the yogurt-besan mix and let the mixture thicken up and boil.
4. When it starts boiling, set aside.
5. Heat ghee, add in the cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and when they pop, add the chili and pour this over the kadhi.
6. Let boil for 10 more minutes and serve with some hot rice.