So what do you need for the theplas?
Makes 12-14 theplas
1-1/2 cup grated dudhi/bottle gourd
2 cups whole wheat flour
3-4 tbsp yoghurt/3 tbsp lemon juice
salt to taste
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/3 tsp turmeric powder
To be ground into paste
5 green chilies
2 inch piece of ginger
2. Mix the wheat flour, salt, sugar, turmeric and chili powder and again mix the flour well (add the dry ingredients before you add the rest or the spices wont be mixed uniformly).
3. Add the youghurt/lemon juice (yoghurt is preferred), ginger-green chili paste and grated dudhi and with a little water (you probably wont need much since the aforementioned ingredients will provide the wetness) knead into a soft but firm dough (like you would for a wheat paratha). Grease some oil onto the dough and leave it covered for 30 minutes.
4. Make small balls out of the kneaded dough, apply some wheat flour to it and roll it out as you would a paratha.
5. Gently place it onto a heated skillet/tava lightly greased with some oil and cook it till you see brown spots on one side. Flip it over to the other side, apply some more oil and remove when you see brown spots on the other side too.
6. Serve with pickle, chutney or youghurt.
Traditionally theplas are served with golkeri (sweet mango pickle) or chundo (sweet and tangy mango pickle).
My first Meme!!! Time to reveal some tidbits or to be specific, 7 of them, since i have been tagged by the lovely Tee. And here it goes:
1. I love the first snow of the season(and the first one only people- after that it gets a little frustrating, trudging through the snow to school everyday or being caught up in the snow storm)- when its all snow white and soft. I love making angels in the snow and having snow fights. But those days are gone since i moved from New York to Florida a year ago.
2. I hate Maths and Physics. Boy!!! Was my father glad (although it meant that i had to stay in a hostel away from home)when i chose pharmacy instead of engineering- i stood second in the university but barely managed to pass mathematics. OK... i do know 2+2 = .....er...4?
3. I am P's second wife. P is religiously devoted to his first wife of 5 years.... his beloved Laptop. How can a mere girl come between a man and his dear laptop? Naturewise and professionally, P and i are poles apart (he's a software techie and i am technologically challenged!!! duh). I say East and he says West, but we somehow manage to chug along fine. Now, who was it that said "Opposites Attract"?
4. I love the spring season, the fall colours, animals and birds..... i dream of having a garden of my own and a cute little dog too...
5. I love to read (prefer fiction to non-fiction), crochet(havent had the time to catch up on both lately)and watch cartoons (some favorites are Tom and Jerry, Ducktales).
6. My best friend is my younger sis (its always been just the two of us) with whom i share each and everything. She is just a year younger to me, rebelious, mischievous and smart and naturewise, again- a total antithesis to me. I miss..... no not her.... but rather the fights that we used to have ....
7. I am scared of lizards and dentists.... in no particular order.