Lajawaab

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

AFAM: Watermelon: Watermelon Jaljeera

by Priyanka posted at 5:20 PM 18 comments




I had almost given up on participating in the AFAM event this month. Its because i dont like watermelon- period. And thats putting it mildly. But then Nupur of OneHotStove left me a comment on one of my posts. And what she said struck a cord in me - It just takes one delicious recipe to turn a veggie-hater into a veggie lover. Thus i started on a journey of discovery in search of a recipe that would make me love watermelon. I kept browsing through different recipes on the internet, trying them out, tweaking them a little to suit my taste until i had the ultimate recipe. I started out trying one recipe from the National Watermelon Oraganisation called Watermelon Smoothie (in my opinion, it tasted like watermelon lassi) when it occured to me that lemon juice, some Indian herbs and spices would blend in smoothly with the watermelon while still retaining its taste. And thus was discovered a very refreshing drink.

This recipe is very healthy since it doesnt require either salt or sugar.

This drink can be served as an appetiser or beverage before or after meal or simply as a cooler.




Serves 2 (Makes 2 cups)

Ingredients

2 cups watermelon
1 lime
1 inch piece ginger
6-7 mint leaves
1/2 tsp cumin powder
Jaljeera powder to taste (optional)

1. Finely chop the ginger and mint leaves and put them through a blender with the watermelon chunks.

2. Squeeze the juice of 1 lime into the watermelon juice, add cumin and jaljeera powder.

3. Garnish with mint leaves and serve chilled.

This will be my entry to AFAM: Watermelon at Jai and Bee's of Jugalbandhi


P.S.- Yes and now i do like watermelon. I would be willing to give any watermelon recipe a try from now on. Its as good a start as any. Now, wouldnt you agree?

Comments 18 comments
Coffee said...

AHH!!! Thats a wonderful drink Indeed!!! YOu have a nice blog there Priyanka. :)

FH said...

Very new kind of Jal jeera and what creativity.Great going Priyanka.Looks very refreshing:))

Sia said...

so r u a watermelon lover now?

DEEPA said...

very much refreshing drink ...perfect for summer

Mrs. K said...

so the event made you fell in love with watermelon?

Priyanka said...

Coffee, Asha, Deepa
Thanks a lot.

Sia, Rp,
I do like watermelon now even though i wouldnt go as far as saying i love it.

Suganya said...

This is cool recipe....Lovely picture..

Roopa said...

hmm jal jeera with watermelon... thats really lovely..
Thanks for dropping by and you have a lovely blog here!

Chandrika said...

Priyanka, thank you for the comment at my blog. This is my first time here. You have a wonderful blog. Will keep visiting.

Jyothi said...

Hi Priyanka, first time at your blog. Nice blog with yummy recipes. Watermelon Jaljeera looks awesome. Thanks for sharing.

BTW I added your blog name in my blogger's list.

Viji said...

Nice cooler, Priyanka. Thanks for dropping by. Viji

sra said...

Certainly innovative, Priyanka, that's a nice blog you have.

SPICE OF LIFE said...

Hi,

saw ur entry to AFAM ..looks interesting , with all the spices it would definitely be different...since u are recent convert as far as having watermelon is concerned ...do check out my enteries to AFAM .I am sure u'll like them :-)

I am new blogger ..so not much happening on my blog as of now ..but do have a look and let me know ur comments

SPICE OF LIFE said...

u have a nice blog and I have added ur blog to my blog list :-)

Priyanka said...

Sukanya, Viji
Thanks a lot.

Roopa, Chandrika,Sra
Thank u. The pleasure is all mine. You have wonderful blogs too.

Jyothi,
Thank you. Do keep visiting.

Priyanka said...

Spice of Life,
Thanks for dropping by.... You have a pretty nice blog too. Great going.

Mishmash ! said...

Priyanka, sorry, I could not visit your blog earlier....! I am also not a watermelon lover, there re very few melony drinks which I like....i think i should give your recipe a try :)

Shn

Prerna said...

Hello priyanka,
very nice recipe... keep it up! i've started following your blog.. i'm a good cook myself, but never actually thought about blogging my recipes until recently ( actually couple of days) when i realised my hubby dear is having boils on his face 'coz of heat (we are in Dubai!!) and i thought of searching some drinks that can give him relief... And i came across your blog.. and many other Indian women sharing secrets of their kitchen.. :) :)

Post a Comment

Feeds rss About Me

Priyanka
I love food and cooking !!

priyanka.deo@gmail.com

Subscribe feeds via e-mail

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe feeds rss Blog Followers

Subscribe feeds rss Recent Entries

Subscribe feeds rss Recent Comments

Categories