Lajawaab

Thursday, May 24, 2007

"R" of A-Z Vegetables: Raw mango and Spinach vegetable

by Priyanka posted at 10:15 PM 8 comments

I'm going to break away from the Chinese cuisine series to contribute my entry to the A-Z Indian vegetable series hosted by Nupur of OneHotStove. Loaded with some creative mojo, I decided to try my hand at a new recipe. The recipe has been inspired from one of my mom's recipe, albeit with tons of variations.

The original recipe used raw mango and Tandaljo (Amaranth leaves). My attempts to find tandaljo in US have thus far been futile. So i decided to substitute it with "shepu" a.k.a dill, but i couldnt find any fresh dill at the grocery store. Back to the drawing board, I finally decided to use spinach as part of the recipe. A few helpful hints from my friend and fellow blogger, Suchi of Jalepenos, and the recipe came to life.

The dish is tangy in taste and you can try different variations with Dill, Colocasia leaves and Seaweed. Without further ado, here's the recipe:

Serves 2
Preparation time: 20 min
Cooking time- 30 min

Ingredients:
1 raw mango
10 oz (300 gm) baby spinach
Jaggery to taste
1/3 tsp chili powder
1/3 tsp dhana jeeru powder
1/3 tsp garam masala
6 tbs chana dal

To be ground into paste:
2 green chilies
1/2” ginger piece

For tempering:
2 tsp ghee
½ tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
1 cinnamon stick
2 cloves
1 bay leaf
2 whole kashmiri red chilies
2 fresh red chilies
1/3 tsp turmeric
A pinch of asafoetida










1. Wash and finely chop the spinach (you can use baby spinach). Peel and chop the raw mango into fine pieces.
2. Heat ghee for tempering and add the mustard and cumin seeds. When they pop add the condiments, turmeric and asafoetida.
3. Add the green chili-ginger paste and sauté it for 2 minutes.
4. Then add the chana dal and some water and cook till its almost but not completely done.
5. Add the finely chopped spinach and raw mango pieces.Make sure not to use up the entire mango or it will make the dish sour (leave out 1/3rd of the mango pieces). You can use the left over mango in dal or chutney preparations. Add a little water (1/2 a cup) and salt and let it cook.
6. When its cooked, add the chili powder, dhana jeeru and garam masala and cook for some more time. Add jaggery as per taste (you might have to add more or less depending on how sour the raw mangoes are).
7. Serve hot with rotis or rice.







P.S.- The credit for the editing and the pictures goes to P.

Comments 8 comments
Nupur said...

Oh, that looks like such a delicious combination!

Saju said...

wow! what a great combo!

Priyanka said...

nupur, saju
thanks a lot.

Sunshine said...

How about "S"pinach and raw mango vegetable for the next entry? ;)
I m sure this one is too good, am waiting to get my hands on raw mango, hasnt gotten to my town, yet!

Sharmi said...

dear Priyanka, thanks for visiting my blog with your lovely words and letting me now of yours. you have a nice blog with great recipe. I am waiting for your Maharashtrian recipes.

TNL said...

Your recipe with mango is quite different...looks lovely.
Thank you for dropping by my blog and for your comment...the kinds of the "wedding daal" you mentioned is quite tasty,isn't it? the secret is to let the daal simmer for as long as you can...maybe a few hours, if you can help it...and add things like Kharekh, Amboliya(dried mango) and pickle masala powder in it to enhance the flavors. The technique is the same as I had mentioned in my tuver daal post.

Where in FL. are you?

Richa said...

hey priyanka, tuzha blog avadla :) phaar chaan recipes ahet!
bhaji jabardast disat ahey, ani katachi amti/puran poli recipe pahun tondala pani sutlay!
it was nice to see you at my blog :)

sra said...

Hey, we make this too! Well, my elders, not me, to be precise :)

Post a Comment

Feeds rss About Me

Priyanka
I love food and cooking !!

priyanka.deo@gmail.com

Subscribe feeds via e-mail

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe feeds rss Blog Followers

Subscribe feeds rss Recent Entries

Subscribe feeds rss Recent Comments

Categories