How can one even think of Chinese food without the famous hot and sour soup? Its the first appetiser that you order at a restaurant. This hot and spicy soup is perfect for wintry evenings or when you are down with a cold or flu. You can serve it with some tasty vegetable spring rolls. All Chinese dishes should be prepared right before you are about to sit down to eat since they dont taste good on turning cold.
4 cups of water
1. Take 4 cups of water, add the green chilly sauce, vinegar, soy sauce, salt and a little sugar to taste and boil it.
2. When the concoction is boiling real hard add the grated carrots and cabbage. You can also add Chinese bean sprouts if you like. And boil it for 5-8 minutes.
3. Take the cornstarch powder and mix it in half a cup of water and add it to the boiling mix to thicken it a little.
4. Now add tofu if you like it. Cook for another 2 minutes or so and garnish it with finely chopped coriander.
5. Dont add pepper to the soup because it might make it really spicy. Leave it for the guests if they want it.
6.Also you can use a little less of the green chilly sauce if you don’t like it very hot.
7. Serve the soup really hot, because as it starts turning cold it looses all its taste.