Fansi a.ka. green beans is one of my favorite vegetable dishes. This is a dish so simple yet so tasty it is offered as neivedyam to Lord Dattatreya during the auspicious Dutta Jayanti. My mom usually makes this veg stir-fry without any onions/garlic added to it, since it is usually offered for neivedya and also because my dad loves it so. I sometimes add garlic just to notch up the flavor a little. You can make it as per your preference.
500 gm green beans/fansi-chopped
1 tsp red chili powder
salt to taste
sugar to taste
3 tbsp freshly grated coconut
2 tsp fresh coriander
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds (optional)
1/3 tsp turmeric powder
1/4th tsp asafoetida
5-6 curry leaves
1 tsp garlic finely chopped (optional)
1. Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard and cumin seeds to it and when they pop, add turmeric, asafoetida, a little chili powder (optional), curry leaves and garlic.
2. Saute for 2 min and add the green beans.
3. Add salt and cook covered for 15 minutes.
4. Stir the dish once every 8-10 min and when its cooked, add the red chili powder, sugar and part of the grated coconut.
5. Mix well and cook for 10 more minutes.
6. Serve garnished with coriander and coconut with rotis.