Lajawaab

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Undhiyoo

by Priyanka posted at 1:23 PM 6 comments




I love Gujarati food- period. Undhiyoo is one of my all-time favorites. P, on the other hand dislikes Undhiyoo......only because he has had the oily, spicy version served at the weddings....which is not bad actually. But P hates oily and spicy food. So when i set out to make Undhiyoo, i was on a mission to change P's opinion about this much loved dish.
So did i end up accomplishing my mission? Well, you would have to try my undhiyoo or else just take my word for it. It turned out yummilicious...finger-licking-licious to be specific. It is one of the best dishes i have ever cooked, even if i say so myself. And P's become a fan of my undhiyoo. Never again is he going to make a fuss about eating undhiyoo. But the credit actually goes to my mom and Rashmi aunty- one of my hometown neighbors who shared their recipes with me. I just combined the two versions and came up with one of the most amazing undhiyoos i have ever had. Traditionally undhiyoo is served with kadhi and puris, and jalebis as dessert on the side. I served mine with puris and kadhi too. May be i will leave the jalebis for the next time.

Undhiyoo is a vegetable-medley dish specifically made during the winter with all the vegetables available during the season; healthy and nutritious.


Ingredients

Serves 6

3 medium potatoes- chopped into big pieces
2 sweet potatoes chopped into big pieces
8 baby brinjals
3 cups papdi/surti papdi
1 cup lilva
a pinch of soda bi-carb
10-15 pieces methi muthiya

2 roma tomatoes-chopped (optional)

Additionaly if you can find
purple yam
plantain
yam

you can also add this to the vegetable medley.

For stuffing

2 cups lilva dana
1-1/2 cup fresh shredded coconut
1-1/2 cup coriander/cilantro
5-7 green chilies (as per your spice level)
1 inch piece of ginger
4 garlic cloves
2 tbsp lemon/lime juice
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/3 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ajwain
salt to taste
sugar to taste
2 tsp garam masala/undhiyoo masala/dalshaak no masalo

For the muthiya

1 cup wheat flour
1 cup chopped methi
3 tbsp rava/coarse wheat flour
salt to taste
sugar to taste
1/3 tsp turmeric
1/3 tsp chili powder
2 green chilies
1/2 inch piece of ginger
2 garlic cloves
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp oil

For tempering
1 tsp ajwain
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/3 tsp turmeric
1/4th tsp asafoetida




1. For the muthiyas, mix the wheat flour, rava/coarse wheat flour, methi, salt, sugar, turmeric chili powder and oil.
2. Crush the green chilies, ginger and garlic into a fine paste and add it to the methi-wheat flour mix and add in the lime juice.
3. Knead into a fine soft dough. Make small oblong balls and deep fry them. Set aside.
4. String the surti papdi/papdi so that there are no fibrous threads left, wash and coat with soda bi-carb and ajwain.
5. FOr the stuffing mixture put all the ingredients into a food processor and blend into a coarse paste. Add the chopped tomatoes to the mix.
6. Make 4 cuts into the baby brinjal and stuff the mixture into it, If using baby potatoes, stuff them in a similar way.
7. Heat oil in a cooker, add the mustard seeds, and when they pop, add the ajwain, turmeric and asafoetida and add the surti papdi/papdi.
8. Next make a layer of the stuffing mixture.
9. The next layer should consist of yam, purple yam and plantains. and coat with a layer of the stuffing mixture.
10. If not adding the yams and plantains, make a layer of the potatoes, sweet potatoes and stuffed brinjals and make a layer of the stuffin mixture on top.
11. Add the muthiyas and lilva next and another layer of the stuffing mixture on the top.
12. Add 3 cups water and cook for 2 whistles.
13. Let it cool and finally mix all the vegetables well.
14. Serve with Kadhi and puri.


Comments 6 comments
Sig said...

I don't think I've heard of this dish before... Looks delicious, and looks like a lot of work too... :) Great job Priyanka!

delhibelle said...

I also want to mke undhiyu but not with all that oil, but spice, yes please.
Yours looks lovely, thanks for sharing.

Indian Khana said...

This looks lovely..new dish for me too...quite colourful..

Vaishali said...

Love your recipe, Priyanka. I make a simpler version of Undhiyu, but I must try yours. Thanks!

sra said...

I've never eaten undhiyoo, I really want to, but all that work puts me off. I wish I get to taste it somehow, somwhere, soon!

Deepa Kuber said...

oohh yummy.. never tried this before.. good u reminded me of it..

Post a Comment

Feeds rss About Me

Priyanka
I love food and cooking !!

priyanka.deo@gmail.com

Subscribe feeds via e-mail

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe feeds rss Blog Followers

Subscribe feeds rss Recent Entries

Subscribe feeds rss Recent Comments

Categories