A complete hit at my home-this is a slightly Indianised and less spicy version of the Nacho Bread Pizza from Rachel Ray's 30- minute meals. Its fairly simple to make - kind of semi-homemade and something that can be dished up in a few minutes. Whenever you are short of time, this is the meal to dig. My addition to the dish- red and green peppers, refried beans and ketchup.
1 French bread roll (you can subsitute it with any other bread roll of your choice)-cut into 4 equal pieces
1 can vegetarian refried beans (you can use any other beans to your liking)
1/2 red bell pepper finely chopped
1/2 green pepper-finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic-finely chopped
1 serrano chili pepper-finely chopped (or any chili of your choice)
1-1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp red chili powder (or as per your taste)
3 tbsp ketchup
salt to taste
4 tbsp chopped coriander
medium spicy salsa- (i used both the original salsa and mango salsa)
1/4th onion- finely chopped
shredded cheese of your choice (i used monterey jack and cheddar)
1 cup romaine lettuce
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Heat oil and add garlic and the serrano chillies to it. Saute for a couple of minutes and add the red and green peppers to it.
3. Add salt and saute for 5-10 minutes.
4. Next add the refried beans and mix well.
5. Add the cumin and chili powder to this mixture and cook this over medium heat for 5 minutes.
6. Next add ketchup to it, mix well and set it aside.
7. Cut the french bread horizontally and layer the sandwich with the refried bean mixture. Top it with lots of cheese and bake it for 15 minutes in the oven.
8. Remove the sandwich from the oven and top it with onions, salsa, lettuce and coriander. And..... start munching on it.