Lajawaab

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Dal vada and Keli chi Bhajji

by Priyanka posted at 11:42 AM 17 comments





P loves Dal vada (a Gujarati specialty) and I love Keli chi bhajji a.k.a banana fritters and since my MIL was here, all of P's wishes were catered too.I had never made Dal vada before and so got to learn how to make it first hand from her. Simple yet tasty to boot, these are very easy to make. The banana fritters are a Maharashtrian specialty.


Dal vada


Ingredients

2 cups split green moong dal (fotravala mag)

5-6 green chilies (you can add more or less according to your spice level)

4-5 cloves of garlic

salt to taste

Oil for frying

Sliced onions and fried green chilies on the side

1. Soak the moong dal for 5-6 hours before making the vadas.

2. Crush the dal with the green chilies and garlic and a little water so that the mixture turns out semi coarse. Do not grind it into a fine paste/mixture. Add salt to taste.

3. Heat oil in a kadai/wok on a medium high flame and slowly release a spoonful of the moong dal mixture into the heated oil. fry till they turn golden brown. Fry 5-6 spoonfuls of this mixture at a time.

4. Serve with sliced onions and fried green chilies.



Keli Bhajji

This was to be my entry to the JFI: Banana event along with some Raw banana koftas and Banana cutlets, but i couldnt make it in time.

Ingredients

Sliced ripe bananas

3 tbsp besan/ gram flour

1/4 tsp turmeric

1/3 tsp chili powder

salt to taste

Oil for frying

1. Mix the besan, turmeric, chili powder and salt and add water to make a thick mixture as shown in the pic below.

2. Dip the banana slices into the mixture and slowly release into the heated oil in the kadai. Fry till golden brown and remove. You can relish it just plain. However traditionally it is served with a full-fledged maharashtrian meal as a side dish.


Comments 17 comments
TBC said...

Your keli chi bhajji looks really nice. I too made something similar(using ripe plantains)and sent it for JFI.
I've never made dal vadas before. Must try it sometime.

zlamushka said...

I have nver eaten banana bhajee. The truth is I just am addicted to bhajee anything, so this sounds definitely like an interesting twist...

FH said...

You have been busy bee girl!:))
Loved all three posts. My whole family loves Foccacia and Bajjis:))

Tee said...

Yum....these bhajjis are perfect for the rainy weather here :) I love your dal vada recipe, i normally make mixed dal vadas. next time will try it with just moong. Although i have never made banana bhajji,i had it at a friend's place once, and i really liked it...will try this out too :)

I have missed so many of your posts...will read the others later. Why don't you subscribe your blog to Food Blog Desam site...tha way no one wil miss all these wonderful recipes you have :)

Roopa said...

perfect tea time snacks :) love them all

Rachna said...

im always scared to make banana bhajis coz i fear it will all be soft and podgy podgy...but yours looks great....will def try....

Finla said...

Vada and Bhaji Looks delicious.
I am sure going to try this recipe of yours. I have bookmarked it.
Thanks for shring

TheCooker said...

both, the vadas and bhajjis look delicious.
ditto for Tee's suggestion about FBD, so we don't miss your posts.

Kumudha said...

Dal vada and bhajji look so delicious!

Bong Mom said...

Hey I thought you were on abreak and didn't stop by. But you seem to be busy cooking and not studying :) Mid Term over ? Lovely dishes

Nupur said...

I am so thrilled to see kelichi bhaji here. Those are one of my favorites, and yours look just too tempting for words!

Richa said...

love those vadas, that dal brings out the best in this recipe :) me tey vadey falafel madhye pan ghaltey :) good to see ya back!

DEEPA said...

ohh wow!!!!this is most excellent snack ....all time favt ....

Swaruchy said...

Lajawab.....Every dish indeed looks 'Lajawab' ....My mouth is watering for those fritters now :-)

Sharmi said...

I liked the dal vada!bookmarking this too:)

Tee said...

I tried out your kelyachi bhaji and both me and my hubby loved it!

Shubha Ravikoti said...

i like keli chi bhajji... being from maharashtra too.. hey do u know to make besan ladoo... give me the recipe and exact proportion na... please....Hey do check my blog too.... and give ur comments
htpp://chutkibharpyar.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Feeds rss About Me

Priyanka
I love food and cooking !!

priyanka.deo@gmail.com

Subscribe feeds via e-mail

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe feeds rss Blog Followers

Subscribe feeds rss Recent Entries

Subscribe feeds rss Recent Comments

Categories