Moving on to the recipes, the famous hot and sour soup is the first appetiser that you order at a restaurant. This hot and spicy soup is perfect for wintry evenings or when you are down with a cold or flu. You can serve it with some tasty vegetable spring rolls. I found the recipe to this soup on the internet eons ago, but i dont have the link to it. I must add here that without timed planning and simultaneous cooking on 3 different stoves, cooking all the three dishes is not possible. At the most you can make any 2 of them with another 10 minutes to spare if you do not have all the necessary ingredients. It was only because i had most of the ingredients on hand that it made the cooking so much faster and easier.
Hot and Sour Soup
2 tbs of vinegar
1 tbs of soy sauce
1 cupful of grated carrots, cabbage
finely chopped coriander
1 and a half tablespoonful of cornstarch powder
salt and pepper to taste
1. Take 4 cups of water, add the green chilly sauce, vinegar, soy sauce, salt and a little sugar to taste and boil it.
2. When the concoction is boiling real hard add the grated carrots and cabbage. You can also add Chinese bean sprouts (cooked according to directions on the packet) if you like. And boil it for 5 minutes.
3. Take the cornstarch powder and mix it in half a cup of water and add it to the boiling mix to thicken it a little.
4. Now add tofu if you like it. Cook for another 2 minutes or so and garnish it with finely chopped coriander.
5. Dont add pepper to the soup because it might make it really spicy. Leave it for the guests if they want it.
6.Also you can use a little less of the green chilly sauce if you don’t like it very hot.
7. Serve the soup really hot, because as it starts turning cold it looses all its taste.
This Chinese meal goes to Shaheen of Malabar Spices for the Summer Express Cooking Event.
P.S.- Just a tip- incase you dont have Ching's green Chili sauce you can replace it by making a paste of green chilies, ginger and garlic at home. The taste of the dish wont be altered.