Here's another recipe that i picked up from a Punju roomie of mine, a couple of years back. I was only familiar with the uncooked baingan bharta before she introduced me to this Punjabi variation and since then i have been hooked.
2 baingans (American eggplants)
2 tomatoes (finely chopped)
1 big red onion (diced)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
3 green chilies (diced)
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1/3 tsp turmeric
1/3 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp oil
salt to taste
1. Roast the eggplants till the outer skin is charred and you can see the oil drizzling out and the inside tender, brown and roasted. Let it cool and then peel the outer skin. Mash the eggplant so as to break lumps.
2. Heat oil and add some cumin seeds. When they crackle, add the green chilies and the onions.
3. Saute the onions and when they turn translucent, add the ginger-garlic paste and saute for another 3-5 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes and cook till they are completely done and tender.
5. Add the spices and salt, saute and then add the mashed eggplant.
6. Cook for 5-10 minutes and serve garnished with coriander alongside parathas or rotis.
This is another one of my entries to RCI: Punjab, hosted by Richa of As Dear As Salt.