As i mentioned in a previous post- this was to be my entry for V of Indian veggies at the lovely Nupur's, but i soaked the dal a couple of hours too late. Vaatli dal and ambedal are cousins and the recipes differ slightly. Made from bengal gram/ chana dal, this dish is highly nutritious and a favorite of mine.
According to my aai, this dry dal preparation is usually served with some cool refreshing panha.
1 cup chana dal
2 tsp lemon juice
3 tbs coconut (shredded)
2 tbs coriander
salt and sugar to taste
To be ground into paste:
5-6 green chilies
1/2 inch piece of ginger
6-7 curry leaves
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/3 tsp turmeric
a pinch of asafoetida
1. Soak the chana dal atleast 5 hours prior to making the dish. Semi-crush the dal.
2. Separately grind the chilies and ginger into a fine paste. Add it to the crushed dal.
3. Heat oil in a cooking pan, add the mustard seeds and when they pop, add the turmeric, asafoetida and curry leaves.
4. Add the chana dal, mix and cook for 5-10 minutes while stirring once in a while. Add salt, sugar and lemon juice.
5. Serve hot garnished with coconut, and coriander.